Field Technician II
NV5 provides engineering and consulting services to public and private sectors, delivering solutions through six business verticals: Construction Quality Assurance, Infrastructure, Energy, Program Management, Environmental, and Geospatial Technology. With offices nationwide and abroad, NV5 helps clients plan, design, build, test, certify, and operate projects that improve the communities where we live and work.
NV5, Inc. has been established in Truckee, CA for over twenty years providing Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Environmental Services. As engineers, architects, construction/program managers, environmental professionals and beyond, we play a significant role in shaping our communities through the services we provide. We are looking for passionate, driven individuals to join our team.
Purpose of Position:
The Field Technician II/III conducts field observation, QA/QC and testing services during construction phases of a project as well as materials testing to ensure constructed projects incorporate NV5 engineering recommendations and meet plan specifications. The Field Technician II/III is a journey-level position requiring the performance of more complex duties and the ability to work independently under the general supervision of the Supervisory Technician or location manager, reporting to the Project Manager and Project Engineer for specific projects.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities: Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Observes construction activities and performs testing and measurements with the direction of a supervisory technician, project manager or project engineer.
- Observes work for conformance with the approved design drawings and specifications, NV5 engineering recommendations, and other approved documents.
- Furnishes inspection reports; upon approval of the project manager and when requested, to the building official, the engineer or architect of record, and other designated persons.
- Notifies contractor, supervisor, and/or project manager of problems and deviations from plans and specifications.
- All discrepancies shall be brought to the immediate attention of the contractor for correction; then if uncorrected, to the proper design authority and to the building official.
- Provides complete and comprehensive communication with project management and other technicians to ensure the effective management of the project.
- Ongoing direct client contact arranging job progress meetings, materials testing, inspections, and related activities.
- Position may require travel to work with other NV5 office locations.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of experience.
- Nuclear gauge safety certification is preferred.
- Demonstrates complete competence as Field Technician I and/or advanced education.
- Demonstrates familiarity with construction job site conditions, problems encountered in the field, and proper procedures for rectification.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Electronic report preparation (Microsoft Office) and technical writing.
- Must have valid driver’s license and an insurable driving record.
- Ability and willingness to learn new electronic report documentation platforms.
Certifications/Licenses (Must possess one or more of the following, or capability of obtaining):
- ACI Technician Level I
- ICC certification for reinforced concrete, structural steel, masonry, and/or fire proofing
- AWS/CWI certification
- ASNT Level II experience
- Caltrans certifications or testing experience
Physical and Environmental Factors:
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull objects and materials up to 50 pounds.
- May require frequent sitting at desk for extended periods of time.
- Frequent usage of verbal communication equipment (telephone, radio, cell).
- Frequently requires walking, standing, kneeling, bending, stooping, twisting, turning, crawling, squatting on level and non-level surfaces that may be slippery.
- Repetitive hand movements in the performance of daily duties.
- Frequently write or use a keyboard to communicate.
- May be required to work outside normal business hours.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Must adhere to NV5 safety practices and policies.
The pay range for this California position is $30 to $45 per hour; however, base pay offered may be higher or lower depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience of the candidate. Restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per California Senate Bill 1162. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via the NV5 careers site.